Airpark Ohio Airpark Ohio - ConnectAirpark Ohio - DevelopAirpark Ohio - AchieveAirpark Ohio

History


  • The construction of the Springfield Municipal Airport was ordered by the Secretaries of War, Navy, and Commerce in cooperation with the City of Springfield on June 15th, 1943
  • The City commenced the purchase of 1,100 acres with the passage of Ordinance No. 4335 in February 1944
  • Completed in August 1946 as a defense project for possible use as a landing field during World War II, the airport opened with three 5,500 foot by 150 foot runways
  • Springfield Municipal opened in 1946 with a small civilian flight operations and intermittent attempts to provide scheduled air service first through TWA and then by Lake Central Airlines
 
  • The 178th Tactical Fighter Group was established at the base as an autonomous unit in 1962
  • The City Commission adopted the Dept. of Aviation in 1967 to manage the airport, ushering in a period of change and growth throughout the 1970's
  • Terminal Building and additional T-Hangars were developed
  • FAA assumed maintenance of VOR in the 1980's
  • Airport renamed Springfield-Beckley in 1984
Mr. Henry Addison Beckley

  • 1st Chairman of the Airport Advisory Board was local businessman Mr. Henry Addison Beckley
  • Mr. Beckley played a key role in bringing the 162nd Tactical Fighter Squadron to Springfield from Dayton by offering to support the OANG's transition to jet operations. The 162nd moved its flight operations to Springfield in 1955